Vegan Apple Pie
2 ½ cups plain flour
1 tablespoon organic sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (225g) vegan butter
6 tablespoons ice water
7 granny smith apples
2 cups organic sugar
1 lemon, zested
5 tablespoons corn flour
½ lemon juiced
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- To make crust: in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the cubed vegan butter, a bit at a time, and use a fork until it breaks down to coin sized pieces.
- Gradually add the ice water and mix just until the dough can be pressed together.
- Divide the dough in half and shape into discs.
- Wrap in cling wrap and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make filling: peel and core apples, then thinly slice. Transfer to a large bowl and add 2 cups of sugar, the lemon zest, corn flour, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of melted coconut oil, salt, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon. Toss until the apples are well-costed. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out both discs of dough to about 2cm thick.
- Transfer 1 round to a greased 20cm pie dish and gently press against the bottom and sides.
- Trim the excess dough around the edges, then prick the bottom of the pie crust all over with a fork.
- Pour the apples into the bottom crust and cover with the top crust. Trim the excess dough around the edges, then crimp the top and bottom crusts together with a fork.
- Brush the top of the crust with the remaining tablespoon of melted coconut oil and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut 4 vents in the top crust.
- Bake for 1 hour, until crust is starting to turn golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.