Tomato and Bacon Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
75g short-cut bacon, finely chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
3 celery sticks, trimmed, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, celery and carrot. Cook stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato and water. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place half the soup in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat with the remaining soup.
- Stir over low heat until heated through.
- Ladle soup among serving bowls.