Thai Sweet Potato Soup
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 brown onion
3 teaspoons red curry paste
750g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons lemongrass paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups (500ml) soy milk
½ cup (125ml) light coconut milk
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onions soften.
- Add the curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 min or until aromatic.
- Add the sweet potato, lemongrass and 1 ½ cups water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 mins or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add the salt, sugar, soy milk and coconut milk.
- Take off the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Blend or process the soup in batches, until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir over low heat until heated through (do not boil).
- Ladle among serving bowls and sprinkle sesame seeds and coriander over the top. Season and serve.