Spring Chicken and Pea Casserole
2 tbsp oil
1.2kg chicken thigh fillets, cut into thirds
2 medium carrots, sliced thinly
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup plain flour
3 cups chicken stock, approximately
1 cup frozen peas
2 bunches asparagus, cut into thirds
1. Heat oil in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Add chicken; cook until browned all over. Add the carrots, onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until the vegetables have started to soften.
2. Add the flour; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated.
3. Gradually stir in the stock until combined. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, topping up stock if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Add peas; return to the boil. Add asparagus; simmer, uncovered, for another few minutes or until the asparagus is just tender.
5. Serve chicken casserole with mashed potato, if desired.