Spanish Ham Croquettes
¼ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
75g finely grated parmesan
1 small red onion, finely chopped
200g ham, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
3 eggs, lightly whisked
270g (3 cups) dried breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil to deep fry
30 fresh continental parsley leaves
- Combine mayonnaise and paprika in a bowl. Season. Cover and place in fridge.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with oil. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour for 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from heat. Slowly whisk in milk. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in parmesan.
- Cook onion and ham in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring, for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Fold onion mixture and chopped parsley into milk mixture. Spread over base of dish. Cover and chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- Place egg in a bowl and crumbs on a plate.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of the mixture into logs.
- Dip in the egg and then roll in crumbs. Place on a lined tray. Chill for one hour.
- Add oil to a saucepan to reach a depth of 10cm. heat to 180°C over medium-high heat.
- Cook parsley leaves for 20-30 seconds or until crisp. Transfer to plate.
- Top croquettes with mayonnaise mixture and parsley leaves.