Spaghetti Squash in Tomato Sauce
1 medium spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
900g ripe tomatoes, diced (save the juices)
¼ cup dry red or white wine
½ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
8-10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 200°C. line a rimmed baking tray with baking paper
- Place spaghetti squash halves, flesh side down, on the prepared baking tray. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the squash is tender when pieced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic. Continue to cook until they are golden.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the wine and cook until the tomatoes begin to breakdown.
- Stir in pepper and salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cover.
- When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the flesh from the shell and add it to the tomato sauce. Stir in basil.