Individual Chicken Pies
800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
1/4 cup plain flour
1 tbsp olive oil
300g button mushrooms, sliced thinly
3 French shallots, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg, beaten lightly
2 teaspoons water
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease 4 x 1 cup capacity oven proof dishes.
2. Toss the chicken in seasoned flour. Heat a large non-stick frying pan with half of the oil over medium-high heat; cook the chicken, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan; add the mushrooms, cook, stirring, until browned. Add the shallots and garlic, cook until shallots soften. Stir in thyme.
4. Add the stock and stir to remove all the flavour from the bottom of the pan. Return chicken and any juices to the pan. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chicken mixture thickens slightly.
5. Meanwhile, cut four rounds from the pastry slightly larger than the tops of dishes. Spoon the chicken mixture into prepared dishes. Top with pastry rounds, press pastry firmly into the edge of the dish. With a sharp knife, make a few small incisions in the pastry. Brush tops of pastry with combined egg and water. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Serves 4Print Recipe