Ham Skewers with Rice and Pecan Salad
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
¼ small pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into 3cm pieces
1 green capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 3cm pieces
400g ham steaks, cut into 3cm pieces
450g packet 2 ½ minute brown rice
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced
½ cup chopped fresh flat- leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, juice and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Set aside.
- Thread pineapple, capsicum, onion and ham, alternating, onto 8 skewers.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbeque grill on medium heat.
- Cook skewers, basting with sauce mixture, for 15 minutes or until browned and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat rice following packet directions. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add pecans, celery, parsley, lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve skewers with rice and pecan salad, sprinkled with extra parsley.