Ham, Mushroom and Semi Dried Tomato Pie
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed halved lengthways, thinly sliced
500g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
100g (1 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
245g broccoli, cut into florets
500g piece ham off the bone, coarsely chopped
150g semi-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
White pepper to season
3 sheets of frozen puff pastry, just thawed
1 egg, whisked
Sesame seeds, for topping
- Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Cook the leek and mushroom, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Place over medium-high heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens and comes to the boil. Add cheddar and mustard.
- Cook stirring, for 1 minute or until cheddar melts.
- Place broccoli in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 minute or until the broccoli is bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Add broccoli, ham, and tomato to sauce and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and white pepper. Set aside to cool slightly before assembling pies.
- To assemble pies: use six 330ml capacity ovenproof dishes as a guide to cut 6 discs from 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry, just thawed. Divide the filling among the dishes. Brush top edges of dishes with whisked egg, top with pastry discs and lightly press to seal. Brush the tops with the egg.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top. Place pies on a baking tray. Bake at 200°C for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden.