Fruit Mince Pie
1 quantity shortcrust pastry
Milk, for brushing
½ cup grated green apple
¼ cup (40g) currants
¼ cup (35g) slivered almonds
¼ cup (35g) pitted dates
¼ cup (30g) dried sweetened cranberries
25g butter, melted
½ cup (90g) brown sugar
¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- To make the fruit mince filling, place apple, currants, almonds, dates, cranberries, butter, sugar and orange juice in a bowl. Mix well then cover to soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick.
- Use a 6.5cm round cookie cutter to cut out 24 rounds.
- Line 24x 1 ½ tablespoon capacity (30ml) lightly greased mini-muffin tins with the rounds and spoon in the filling.
- Re-roll the pastry scraps to 3mm thick and use a small star cookie cutter to cut out 24 stars.
- Brush tops with milk and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks and dust with icing sugar. Makes 24.