Crispy Chilli Fish
¼ cup cornflour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 long red chilli
Vegetable oil for deep-frying, plus 1 tablespoon extra
500g boneless fish fillets, cut into chunks
3 green shallots, sliced
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, sliced
½ cup water
¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons kecap manis
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Steamed rice, shredded green shallots, to serve
1. Place cornflour into a bowl. Gradually whisk in eggs until smooth. Finely chop half the chilli and stir through.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large saucepan until a drop of batter sizzles as soon as it's added.
3. Dip fish into batter, draining off excess. Cook in batches 2-3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
4. Heat extra oil in a wok or large frying pan on high. Stir-fry green shallots, ginger and garlic for 1 minute.
5. Stir in water and sauces. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 minute. Serve fish with rice, drizzle with sauce and garnish with thinly sliced shallots and remaining chilli.
Serves 4Print Recipe