2 kg chicken drumsticks
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 rindless bacon rashers, sliced thinly
2 medium leeks, cut into 5cm pieces
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup water or chicken stock
300g button mushrooms
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.Toss the chicken pieces in the combined flour, salt and pepper.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large flameproof casserole or baking dish. Cook chicken over medium heat, until browned all over; drain on absorbent paper. Drain excess fat from the baking dish.
3. Add the bacon, leek, garlic, thyme and bay leaf to same pan; cook, stirring, until vegetables are fragrant.
4. Add the wine; bring to the boil. Add the water and return the chicken to the pan, turning to coat in wine mixture. Cover baking dish with foil or lid, bake for 30 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms, bake, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with rind and parsley.