4 cups white sugar
1 kg firm ripe apricots, flesh cut into 1.5cm pieces
1 cup (250ml) water
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from the lemon.
- Halve and juice the lemon, reserving the seeds.
- Wrap lemon rind and seeds in a piece of muslin and tie with unwaxed kitchen string to enclose.
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Place the sugar in a deep sided baking tray or baking dish. Bake, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until sugar is warm.
- Meanwhile, place muslin pouch, apricot, water and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the warm sugar and cook, stirring, occasionally brushing down the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium, bring to the boil. Simmer rapidly, stirring and using a slotted spoon to remove any scum from the surface, for 20-25 minutes or until the jam reaches setting point (take care the jam doesn’t catch on the base of the pan).
- Discard the muslin pouch.
- Ladle hot jam through a funnel into clean, dry jars and seal. Invert for 2 minutes. Turn the jars upright. Set aside to cool.